Paghi

  The name of the village Paghi (Pagoi) comes from the Ancient Greek word, PAX, which means rock. The village itself has a history dating back to ancient times.

Today, Paghi is part of the municipal ward of A George’s in the prefecture of Corfu. The village is located approximately 28 kilometres from Corfu town and is very fertile and produces olive oil, wine, almonds, excellent grapes, oranges, lemons etc.

The views around Paghi are breathtaking and you can see to the surrounding villages of Aspiotades, Manatades, Perlepsimades, Afionas, Prinilas, Kratsalo, Vatonies and Alimatades. Many ancient colourful fragments of treated marbles, as well as paving and ancient coins have been found in Paghi.

Above Paghi is a large hill which is called “Tria Vouna On the right is a hill which is called “Helidoni” named after the hill of “Kakodiava”, “Prinari” and at the end of the village is another hill called “Kalogritsa” Between the hills of “Tria Vouna” and “Kakoplagi” there is a canyon which becomes a waterfall in the winter months.

In the same area there is a small lake measuring about 50 metres x 30 metres and is about 8 metres deep, and is often visited by wild pigeons. The oldest and most usual surnames in Paghi are: Rouvas, Pagiatakis, Romeos, Pithamitsis, Sinadinos, Neratzis, Kazianis, Krokidis, Lomis and Kourkoulos.
In Paghi there are three very old, semicircular, Venetian style iron garden doors preserved at Cappo’s residence Constadinos Rouvas, which today is lived in by his descendants. The centre looks like Corfu’s old Enetic fortress rail doors. Above the middle there is a coat of arms which shows an eagle with open wings surrounded by two branches with leafs.

On the eagle’s head is a crown and under the eagle’s legs is a cluster of grapes. The right rail door does not have any coat of arms while the left has a similar coat of arms (eagle) to the middle one and has bas relief and is dated 1810. At the western side of the house there is a balcony. At the adjoining garden of the residence are 8-10 pillars which are carved and the capitals which are an imitation of Doric rhythm.
 
Above the balcony gate the date 1798 is inscribed and also K.R. (Kostas Rouvas) initials. Under the balcony there is a Well with a circular exterior and a square interior. A further similar Well built with protective windows in order to draw the water exists in another area of K. Rouva’s residence. Beside this there is an underground river that receives the water of the land and a marble slate with the date 1898 engraved on it. Another village spot of interest is at the “Sinadinadinatika” area where there is located a square gate at the entrance of the residence of Alkinoos Sinadinos. At the top of the gate there is a coat of arms with the date 1795, which presents a two headed eagle with open wings, a crown on his head surrounded by two flags, two trumpets, one drum, two poles which cross and one cannon.

Contact Us


Office 1–Corfu town Office:
Tel: +30 26610 23032
Tel: +30 26610 86025
Mob: +30 6937164766
Location: Alykes Potamou
3rd Klm Paleokastritsa National Road
Corfu- 49100 -Greece
email: [email protected]

Office 2 Paxos, Lakka Office:
Tel: +30 26620 33046
Mob: (Joanna) +30 6975 770280
Mob: (Christiana) +30 6942 423576
Location: Lakka, Paxos
Paxos-49082-Greece
email: [email protected]
Copyright 2019 by Roula Rouva Real Estate - Powered by Fortunet Hellas Inc. | e-agents technology